Media Center: News & Articles

« Return to News & Articles

Port Accepts $8.975 Million Grant for Runway Project

Burlington – The Port of Skagit has received a grant for $8,975,000 from the Federal Aviation Administration for Phase 2 of the Runway 10-28 Improvements project at Skagit Regional Airport.

The FAA will pay for 95 percent of the construction project, with the port responsible for the remaining 5 percent in matching funds. The port will be seeking grants from other sources to help cover its share of the project costs, said Patsy Martin, executive director of the port.

“We are very appreciative of the FAA for providing this grant to upgrade our runway,” Martin said. “This is a major investment in the future of Skagit Regional Airport, and it shows how important the airport is as a regional hub for business and general aviation.”

“We also appreciate the help that Congressman Rick Larson has given us in securing this grant,” Martin added. “He has been consistently supportive of vital infrastructure projects like the runway improvements at Skagit Regional Airport.”

The port is hoping to receive a second FAA grant next year for the project, which would bring the total cost of the work to $12 million, including the port’s match.

The second phase of the 10-28 project, likely taking place during the summer of 2012, will convert the runway’s surface into a crown section, shifting the highest part of the runway from the northern edge to the centerline. At the same time, the eastern 1,500 feet of the runway will be raised approximately five feet to make it more compatible with aircraft currently using the airport. The Bellingham office of Precision Approach Engineering is designing the project and will provide project oversight during construction. 

In a related action, the port accepted a separate FAA grant of $300,000 to pay for design of the Phase 2 project plus a grant for $7,894.75 from the Washington State Department of Transportation to pay for half of the port’s 5 percent match for the design grant.

The first phase of the Runway 10-28 project, completed this summer, replaced the runway’s failed underdrain system with a new system located outside the boundaries of the runway pavement.

If you are a reporter seeking information about the Port of Skagit, please call Linda Tyler, Community Outreach Administrator, at 360-757-0011 or email LindaT@portofskagit.com