Development of the current Skagit Regional Airport site at Bayview began in 1933, when a joint project of the Works Progress Administration and the Public Works Administration constructed a single runway now known as Taxiway C.
This landing strip served the area for a decade until the U.S. Navy took it over in World War II to serve as an outlying airfield for Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. The Navy constructed the triangular runway-taxiway configuration that remains largely unchanged to this day. During the war years, it was common to see military aircraft -- such as the Lockheed PV-1 Ventura shown here -- coming and going from the airport as Navy pilots prepared for combat assignments overseas.
After the war, the federal government continued to operate the airport until 1958, when ownership was transferred to Skagit County. The airport changed hands again in 1965, when the county turned it over to the Port of Skagit and the Port of Anacortes as joint owners. The Port of Skagit assumed full ownership of the airport in 1975 and has operated it since then.
The majority of the landside facility development has occurred along the north side of Runway 11-29. The Port built a new terminal building and administration facility in 1977-78. Over the next few years, the Port upgraded landing aids, improved access roads and added hangars. More recently, development of landside facilities has extended to the south side of runway 04-22, including a small aircraft parking apron; several hangars; a bulk fuel storage and dispensing area; a fixed-base operator hangar; and a 10-unit condominium T-hangar.
In 2009, the Port estimated more than 150 aircraft were based at Skagit Regional Airport, and annual airport operations totaled about 60,000.
A major project on Runway 11-29 during 2010-2012 replaced the drainage system, raised the eastern end and converted the surface from a shed to a crown section, bringing it into compliance with current Federal Aviation Administration standards.